Settlement Workers in Schools (SWIS)
Our settlement workers are located in schools throughout Scarborough to help newcomer students and their families adjust to their school and community.
Through this Program, the following settlement services are provided to newcomer families through local schools.
A review of the settlement needs of newcomers and the development of an individual settlement plan designed to assist with the transition into life in Canada
- Workshops for newcomer parents and newcomer youth to support them in the settlement process
- Open drop-in and group networking sessions for newcomer youth and parents in schools
- Information on the Ontario school system and assistance in facilitating communication between newcomers and the school
- Free summer activities for newcomer children and youth to support success in school through:
- Summer learning program for children ages 7-12 during July and August
- Newcomer Orientation Week (NOW) – a week-long program that provides high school students Grade 9-12 an orientation to their school before the start of the new school year
- Welcome and Information for Newcomers (WIN) – one-day orientation to school for children entering Grades 7 and 8 before the start of the new school year
Our services are available in several languages and offered in all public and catholic schools in Scarborough. For a list of schools, please click here.
For more information and to connect with a school settlement worker contact us at 416-757-7010.